Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Flight of The Troubodour

There is a black and white photo of my father from the late 60's I love. Pan American Airlines 1st Officer Steve Meuris is striding across the tarmac somewhere in the Far East. He's wearing civvies: a fitted shirt and slacks (slight bell bottom) and ankle boots. On his shoulder is a well-worn leather duffel bag. Call me a luddite, but no way would Dad have looked as cool pulling along a roller bag. A gentleman carries his bag.
Flash forward forty years. I have a friend whose preference for the long-distance relationship and weekend trysts, earns him a lot of Southwest points. This friend, let's call him The Troubadour, needed a weekender duffel bag with some style.
I found a few nice offerings online from Patagonia and Marc Jacobs , but was looking for something more sophisticated. By accident, I came across Mulholland on Sutter St. The Boardroom Medium Hippo Duffel in grey flannel immediately caught my eye. Kim Kesser, Mulholland's incredibly knowledgeable salesperson gave me the run down on the San Francisco-based, family-run Company. Like all of Mulholland's bags, this elegant and utilatrian duffel is constructed to the highest quality standards and is backed by a lifetime guarantee. Best of all, the Hippo is currently half off (at the Store but not online). The Troubadour is now prepared to arrive in style...

No comments:

Post a Comment