Friday, April 16, 2010

Object of Affection: The Charvet Shirt

Founded in 1838, Charvet is the world's first and oldest shirtmaker. Charles Baudelaire, Georges Sand, Eduouard Manet, Coco Chanel, Charles De Galle, and John F. Kennedy are among the long list of famous Charvet clients. So there's your history lesson.
I was hooked instantly. The fabric is wonderful, the fit meticulous, the patterns classic without being stodgy. Compared to my other high-end shirts, I've found Charvet shirts are very easy to iron due to the precision and symmetry of the design. I'm a fan of the square shirt tails as well.
You pay for this type of quality. Charvet shirts typically retail for $450. However if you are patient and determined, you can get them much cheaper. I paid around $150 a pop during sales at Neiman Marcus and Saks. I even saw a few at Loehmans for under $100 a few months ago.
If you appreciate quality, you'll love the Charvet shirt. Perhaps the only thing I miss about going to an office is that I got to wear these shirts a lot more!

No comments:

Post a Comment