Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What Was and Will Always Be: REM


If you came of age in the 80's like I did, REM has probably influenced your musical tastes to this day. In 1985 I was mostly listening to British "New Wave" (The Smiths, The Cure, New Order, Echo...). I thought Amercan rock bands sucked. Then I heard Murmur. Even though I could barely make out Michael Stipe's lyrics, the pastoral, gritty, Keroucian images these songs conjured up shot straight through my soul. Geck would probably argue that The Replacements are the quitessential American band of the 80's, but my vote is for the boys from Athens.
Based on the stellar Pithfork reviews, I downloaded the newly remastered editions of Murmur and Reckoning. The remastered (deluxe) versions of these albums are stunning, adding space clarity and depth. As the PF review of Reckoning notes, "(the) expert remastering job cleaned up the album's notoriously murky sonics and revealed previously unheard detail and force." If that weren't enough, both editions contain some fantastic live recordings of a band at the top of its game, proving REM was a very good live band. If you're an REM fan, these remastered gems are a must-have.

2 comments:

  1. I too have downloaded the remastered "Murmur" album and it is excellent. Ironically enough, Peter Buck does a guest appearance on my favorite Replacements album, Let It Be (also currently out and remastered. Get it. Now.). The real difference to me is that Paul Westerberg actually had something to say, and he said it in no uncertain terms. Who the hell knows what Michael Stipe was, or is talking about?? Plus the Mats just plain rock. Apples & oranges, I suppose. Rock on, -Geck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sixteen Blue, Answering Machine, Unsatisfied, and I Will Dare. Best tracks on Let It Be. Similar guitar sounds as Murmur.

    There, I'm done. -Geck

    ReplyDelete